Monday, January 4, 2010

Simple and Sweet Girl Headbands Tutorial

My 8-year-old daughter loves headbands. They're cool, stylish, easy to wear, and easy to make. Wait! Did I just say easy to make? Yup, that's right. They are very easy to make, even for an 8-year-old. People, get your glue guns ready, for this is a fun DIY project for both little and not-so-little girls, perfect for a nice afternoon with your daughter.

Supplies:

Acrylic headband
(available at craft supply stores)

Ribbon (1/2 yard) or
a piece of fabric (1/2 yard width)

Hot glue

Flower shapes
(available at craft supply stores)


How-to

Most people like to use ribbons to wrap headbands. That's ok, but you can also use beautiful fabric in different patterns, such as the flower pattern I used for this tutorial. This gives you more possiblities to work with. If you'd like to use a piece of fabric (like me), cut 1 inch from the piece of fabric (just make sure it's 1/2 yard long), like this:


{ Don't worry if it's not perfectly straight ;) }

Step 1: Wrap headband with fabric or ribbon.




Step 2: Secure ends with glue.



Step 3: Glue flower shapes to headband.



Enjoy!







{ tip: you can even make the shapes out of 2mm craft foam }

As you see, the basic instructions on how to make a stylish headband are quite simple. You can play with colors, textures, patterns and shapes to make the headband work with any outfit you may wish.

My daughter and I made another headband for you to see how different it can turn out:




I know! It looks so different, and yet, it's the same wrapping-with-ribbon technique. In this case we didn't use premade shapes. We made them out of two circles of black felt with these beautiful flower and leaf beads.





So there you have it. I hope this tutorial inspires you to make your own creations. The possibilities are endless! Be sure to share the fabulous results with me!

P.S. This tutorial was previously featured at Craftaholics Anonymous.
Sharing with Kimba at DIY Day

3 comments:

Amy @ Design-Aholic said...

I loved these when I saw the post at Craftaholics. :) I really like the grey one with the clear flowers... so cute!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

These are adorable!

micah said...

What a fun mom you are! Those headbands are sweet!

LinkWithin